Rice Annual Fund
A powerful source of current-use, unrestricted funding that enables our students and faculty to reach their full potential.
“I value how our department and university culture promotes constant collaboration,” says doctoral candidate and current Graduate Student Association President Jason Guo. “I feel that we accomplish so much more in terms of our scientific and medical output, because we are so open to doing interdisciplinary work and drawing upon the expertise of those around us.” Learn more about how your philanthropy supports the unique and dynamic environment in which students like Jason can thrive.READ MORE
Impact of the Rice Annual Fund
The Rice Annual Fund is the most popular vehicle through which our supporters give to Rice. We look to our alumni and friends for their support of the Annual Fund every year in order to have an immediate and meaningful impact that keeps Rice Rice.
Undergraduate scholarships and graduate student support provided by the Annual Fund help close the gap between talent and financial need.
Classroom technology and library resources support our academic mission for every student.
Strength and Flexibility
Unrestricted, current-use funds serve as a bridge between long-term goals and the immediate, pressing needs of today.
The Ideal Balance
Gifts to the Annual Fund fuel residential college life, recreation and wellness resources, outreach programs for community engagement, and intramural and club sports, helping Rice strike the perfect balance between academic excellence, a cohesive support system and vibrant extracurricular opportunities.
THE RICE INVESTMENT
To ensure that the most deserving students have the opportunity to realize their full potential, the university recently announced The Rice Investment, a bold financial aid initiative that will reduce barriers for low- and middle-income families. By giving in support of current-use and endowed scholarships, Rice alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends can guarantee the success of The Rice Investment, both in the immediate and foreseeable future.
HELP US REMOVE FINANCIAL BARRIERS FOR STUDENTS NOW
While the university will rely on financial aid endowments to continually support The Rice Investment, current-use scholarships from the Rice Annual Fund play a vital role in ensuring that this important commitment to access and affordability can take effect immediately.
Your gift to the Rice Annual Fund in support of The Rice Investment will:
- Remove obstacles that prospective students — including those from middle-income families — face when considering the university.
- Attract and support a talented and economically diverse student body that results in a more dynamic community of scholars who will enrich the Rice experience.
- Ensure that our Owls have every opportunity to pursue fulfilling lives and careers without the burden of significant debt.
Note: If you would like to designate your gift toward The Rice Investment, be sure to choose “Rice Annual Fund-The Rice Investment/Undergraduate Scholarships” in the designation dropdown menu on the online giving form.
Rice Annual Fund Results
We are proud to share that our dedicated Owls raised nearly $7.8 million in support of student life and learning this past fiscal year (July 1, 2019–June 30, 2020)! More than 22,159 Rice alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends generously gave back to the university, including a remarkable 9,544 undergraduate alumni. Your efforts led Rice to a 27% giving participation rate. Go Owls!
Visit our Stories page to learn more about how your gift to the Rice Annual Fund is making an impact for our community.
Alumni Participation is Essential
A longstanding tradition of support for your alma mater.
An important goal of the Rice Annual Fund and our volunteers is to increase undergraduate alumni rates of participation. The Annual Fund and the entire Rice community benefit greatly when more undergraduate alumni give to Rice each year, because:
- There is strength in numbers. In fiscal year 2020, gifts of $250 or less from undergraduate alumni to Rice combined to total more than $892,000.
- High rates of participation reflect our alumni’s support of the university’s mission and their desire to remain connected to Rice.
- Publications like U.S. News and World Report consider undergraduate alumni participation when determining Rice’s national college ranking each year. These rankings heavily influence how third parties view Rice and affect the university’s ability to secure grants from corporations and other organizations.
Each year, more than 400 alumni, parents and students serve in leadership roles for Annual Fund programs.
Rice Annual Fund volunteers are ambassadors for the university, making important connections and encouraging classmates and peers to participate in the university's tradition of giving back.
Because alumni share a common Rice experience with their classmates, alumni volunteers are in a unique position to be facilitators between their university and their classmates and to advocate for support of the Rice Annual Fund.
Volunteering is a great way to stay in touch with your classmates while making a positive impact on the current student experience at Rice.
Contact us to learn about volunteering for the Rice Annual Fund at 713-348-4991 or email@example.com.
The leading philanthropic commitment level that keeps Rice Rice.
The Rice Annual Fund relies on a strong tradition of leadership giving to support the scholarships, academic resources and campus life initiatives that keep Rice unique and vibrant.
Gifts to the Annual Fund at or above the leadership level ($2,500 or more) make up a very significant proportion of giving totals.
Young Alumni Support
Graduates of the last decade strengthening Rice through collective support and active participation.
Young alumni make up 27 percent of Rice University’s overall alumni base. That represents a significant proportion of our alumni — and the potential to make a big difference as volunteers and donors.
Young alumni who give at the leadership level enjoy special recognition and Rice networking opportunities as members of the Edgar Odell Lovett Society or Charter Society. There were 110 young alumni who became philanthropic leaders in 2019–2020!
Your recognition as part of a giving society is based on your yearly support of the Rice Annual Fund (July 1–June 30).
- Classes of 2010–2011: $2,500
- Classes of 2012–2020: $1,000
- Classes of 2010–2011: $1,000
- Classes of 2012–2016: $500
- Classes of 2017–2020: $250
Graduate Student Support
The Rice Annual Fund supports research, teaching and learning for graduate students, every day.
As we advance into Rice’s second century, our areas of promise will become our newest examples of research preeminence. The Rice Annual Fund enhances Rice’s graduate student experience and addresses some of our students’ and faculty members’ highest priorities, including:
- Financial assistance, with over $415,000 in graduate student support.
- The latest lab and classroom technology.
- Current-use funds for departmental budgets.
- Student travel grants to regional and national conferences.
- Student organizations, including the Graduate Student Association (GSA).
- Phone: 713-348-4991
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- read story
- read story
- read story